Comments (20)

• Terry Devlin

there’s a comment for you

• Terry Kirtland

Hi, Voices of Variety ! What an excellent idea ! Britain’s OLD THEATRES magazine is delighted to offer its support. Could we please start with reciprocal links on our web pages. Ours is wwww.oldtheatres.co.uk Do come back to us on oldtheatres@googlemail.com Well done ! Brilliant ! Terry KIrtland, Chairman.

• voicesofvariety

Thanks Terry – I’ve added the link.

• Terry Kirtland

Many thanks. We are just about to do the same for you on Britain’s OLD THEATRES magazine web pages http://www.oldtheatres.co.uk

• TrottieTrue

Brilliant website. Keep up the good work!

• Terry Dev

Hi Stephen that does seem to be working now

• Brendan Carroll

Loved your tribute to dear Sandy Powell, who I had the great privilege of interviewing in Eastbourne back in 1981. Thank yo so much for lighting a candle to his memory. He was a very great artist.

• voicesofvariety

Thank you, Brendan. Sandy was a lovely man with the kind of natural dignity and decency that can’t be faked. And, as you say, a very great artist.

• Amanda West

Many of Brinsworth House’s former residents rest in Twickenham Cemetery in three ‘Variety Artistes’ sections. I have added all their names, as well as photographs of their monumental inscriptions, to this site: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=vcsr&GSvcid=687805 I would be grateful if you could add a link to your site. Regards.

• voicesofvariety

Hi Amanda,How very interesting. Yes, of course I’ll put a link in next time I go into VofV, which should be later this week.Best,Stephen
      Subject: Re: Comment on Feedback

• David Carroll

Hi,
    I just wondered if the Tom Moss you mention in your article about Brinsworth House is the same man as the Wigan comedian who was famous for his shows “Contrasts” and “Behind the Footlights”, married to the ballerina Valerie Wyn and who became King Water Rat in 1943? Their stories sound very similar, both were singers, bought horses, loved women and had revues. I don’t suppose you know if they were one and the same? The Tom Moss from Wigan was supposedly born in 1898 and died in 1980. I think he was well known in the North West and in early days performed with his brother Joe. I would really appreciate any information you could give me. Thanks,
    David

• voicesofvariety

HI David,I’m pretty sure they were different performers, though both born 1898 and dying 1980. Another reference book states that Tom Moss was still working in the late 1970s, while the Tom F. Moss I knew at Brinsworth was long-retired in 1971. Maybe my Tom put the F. in to avoid confusion? Then again, my Tom did have a strong Northern accent and could well have come from Wigan.Best,Stephen
      Subject: Re: Comment on Feedback

• kvdhoeven

Is this the same Billy Russell?

• Nick Jones

Hello. I am sure I saw on the BBC tv many many years ago singing “through my mother’s eyes” after his act-as soon as he got to the end of his funny act, he changed immediately, as if he had seen a ghost-it was such a sad sight, and a strange song to finish on. God bless him.

• Greg Butler

Hi Steven, we are about to put together a two hour radio show playing 78s and recalling the life and early career of Leslie Sarony, His 3 sons are all on board with the project as are a large number of 78s collectors and music hall enthusiasts – Is this a project that we could tempt you also to get involved with greg@cambridge105.fm

• stephendee

Hi Greg. Great idea – Sarony was a brilliant character and so multi-talented. I’m happy to help any way I can but I live in Dublin and in a couple of months I’ll be moving to the US for the best part of a year. I will be in the UK for three days from Oct 25th but in London and Winchester. If I can’t contribute directly, please feel free to use whatever you like from Voices of Variety – just give the site a mention. When you have a transmission date maybe you could let me know – I’m sure I can access Cambridge radio wherever I am. Best and hope all goes well – Stephen

• Greg Butler

Thanks Stephen, Would be good to get your voice into the show – I can travel down and meet up with you when you’re on the mainland for an interview – my email is greg@canbridge105.fm call (44) 01223872937

• ruskimic

I do hope you can help me. I have been searching for many years for my Great Uncle Mr Albert Edward Rayner who went under the name of Dan Rayner. I believe he worked the Music Halls but I do know for sure he worked with Fred Karno. When Charlie Chaplin left Fred in America over a Pay dispute the American backers of the tour insisted that my Great Uncle Dan Rayner be called over from England to take Charlie Chaplin’s Place. It appears Dan was liked more at that time in America than Charlie was. Another man in the troupe at that time was Stan Laurel. When the show folded Dan was asked along with Stan to stay in America. As we know Stan stayed and found he fame and fortune. Dan however chose to return to England. He was last that I can find in a play Dick Wittington at the Empire Theatre advertised in the a local paper in Durham in 1948. Unfortunately I have not been able to find when or where he died. I am hoping that maybe on your search you came across some info on Dan Rayner. I live in Australia so am unable to search all the death records for England with out it costing me a fortune. So any help you maybe able to give me would be really appreciated. I know he went to America twice and once to Australia and also once to South Africa. I do know he was married to a lady named Barbara Robinson and they had a son Conrad Paul Rayner but I have been unable to find any thing out about these two members of his family. I do know they separated before 1935 and he lived with another lady named Phyliss but as to her last name I have no idea. I have been searching for nearly 10 yrs now and I don’t think there is any thing left on the net that can help me. You it would appear maybe my last chance. I will keep my fingers crossed that you did come across some info on him or you know some one that maybe able to help. He went to America in 1913 on the Lusitania and it shows at this time he is married. He then returns to America in 1914 on the ship Adriatic. I do believe he also did a radio show after 1935 for quite some time but do not know the name of that show. I do hope you can help in my search for my Great Uncle.
    I also might add my great grandfather was Edwin Richard Barwick. He was also a Music Hall performer and appeared in the first Royal Command Performance. If you get the picture and Index to that even you will see him standing next to Pavlova. I would love to hear any information you may have found out about him. I do believe he was one of the first members of the charity named water rats, I know star was spelt back wards to get the rats part. Edwin did a lot of work for this charity in his day. What I would love to know is if there is any recording of Edwin Performing and if so how I would go about getting a copy or seeing any recording. I do have a photo copy of an old theatre bill with my grandfathers name boldly written on it. Again any help would be appreciated.
    All the best and I look forward to hearing back from you in the near future
    Kim Rayner
    my email address is ruskimic@yahoo.com.au

• stefan Beard

Just been reading the Leslie Sarony piece. Absolutely fantastic. Well done. A question if you don’t mind. Does anyone know the the title of the Leslie Sarony song that has the line “Oi ! how you gettin’ on? ” in it ?

• stephendee

Doesn’t ring a bell with me, Stefan, tho it’s a very typical Sarony line. Anyone? Stephen

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Feedback